Data protection strategies are shifting with evolving threats
CAMPBELL, Calif., March 19, 2019 —
• Backup is getting more complex: 57 percent of respondents are responsible for backing up more than two sites, and 35 percent are using multiple cloud services.
• IT may be underestimating the need to protect the SaaS data in their subscription apps. Only 16 percent reported backing up SaaS data.
• Using the cloud as a secondary backup location is on the rise. Nearly 2/3 of respondents say they are replicating backup data to the cloud.
Barracuda, a trusted partner and leading provider for cloud-enabled security solutions, today released key findings from a global research study titled: Closing Backup and Recovery Gaps. Barracuda surveyed more than 1,000 IT professionals, business executives, and backup administrators worldwide to find out more about their data protection strategies.
Read the full report: https://www.barracuda.com/data-protection-report
The research reveals new details about the attitudes and approaches SMBs have when it comes to backing up and recovering data, the impact that cloud and SaaS solutions are having on data protection strategies, and confusion that is exposing firms to significant risk.
Backup challenges and confusion
Overall the study shows that the migration to the cloud is well underway, but organizations are not protecting their cloud and SaaS data effectively. Key findings include:
• Data protection is becoming more challenging to achieve with the rise of multi-cloud and multi-site backup.
• IT decision makers are warming up to the cloud, and the use of the cloud as a secondary backup location is on the rise.
• IT teams view email, SQL, and proprietary application data as the most common workloads to protect with backup, but SaaS data is not viewed as critical, which puts business continuity at risk.
• Office 365 is one of the most popular cloud-based productivity platforms, but Office 365 confusion is exposing firms to significant risk
“While more IT professionals are embracing ways the cloud can support data protection, such as replicating backup data to the cloud, many are making dangerous assumptions about SaaS and cloud data that are putting organizations at risk,” says Chris King, Director, Product Management, Data Protection at Barracuda Networks. “IT still needs to consider how data is protected, even after migrating to cloud or SaaS applications.”
Today’s complex infrastructures and targeted cyber attacks require a complete backup strategy that protects data wherever it resides — on‑premises or in the cloud. Barracuda Backup offers continuous data protection and the flexibility of replicating to a remote physical or virtual appliance, or to the cloud. For backing up Office 365 data, including Exchange Online, SharePoint, and OneDrive, Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup provides comprehensive, cost-effective and scalable protection.
Download the full report: https://www.barracuda.com/data-protection-report
Read the blog posts:
- [Global] Free report: Closing backup and recovery gaps: http://cuda.co/35274
- EMEA businesses are ignoring the cloud when it comes to backup: http://cuda.co/35265
At Barracuda we strive to make the world a safer place. We believe every business deserves access to cloud-enabled, enterprise-grade security solutions that are easy to buy, deploy, and use. We protect email, networks, data and applications with innovative solutions that grow and adapt with our customers’ journey. More than 150,000 organizations worldwide trust Barracuda to protect them — in ways they may not even know they are at risk — so they can focus on taking their business to the next level. For more information, visit barracuda.com.
Barracuda Networks, Barracuda and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.